Sunday, August 26, 2007

Definition of a Writer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Last week there was a story about J.K. Rowling being spotted sitting in an Edinburgh cafe, working on a novel--this one supposedly a murder-mystery. Gotta tell ya, I read that and was pretty damn impressed.

Here's the author of probably the most successful series of books--EVER--and not even a month after the final book is published, what is she doing?

Writing.

Here is someone who could have taken the next few years off, taking a well-deserved vacation, spending part of that Gawd-awesome fortune on whatever she wants...and I don't think anyone would fault her if she'd chosen to do so.

But what does she do instead?
She gets right back on the merry-go-round and starts writing again. This, ladies and gents, is truly the definition of a Writer. As successful as she is, Rowling clearly loves writing so much she couldn't wait to get started on a new project. Impressive, I say. And I would think, rather inspirational as an object lesson for a lot of us who dilly-dally about writing ourselves.

If the most successful writer in history can sit down and start anew mere weeks after finishing a ten-year project, why don't more of us who fancy ourselves 'writers' do the same with out own modest little projects? Made me do some serious cogitating, lemme tell ya.

I wish all continued success to Ms. Rowling. I've got a good feeling about this book, whatever it may turn out to be. After all, she was seen writing in a Scottish cafe, and the last time she did that, the results weren't too bad.

2 comments:

charleneteglia said...

Finish and start again. Yep. "A writer writes."

Justin said...

It took me a whole two weeks to read that series. Considering, that was the greatest fortnight I've had in awhile my bushy friend.