Sunday, September 16, 2007

Another meme

Total Number of Books I Own:

Around 1,000 I think.

Last Book I Bought:

"The War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield

Last Book I Read:

"The Golem's Eye" by Jonathan Stroud

Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me:

1. "A Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs
[I had read science fiction and fantasy before reading this book at the age of 12 in 1973, but I had never read such a thrilling, weird, sensual ass-kicker of a book before. It is a supreme work of Imagination, and still holds up very, very well.]

2. "Again, Dangerous Visions" edited by Harlan Ellison
[In 1975, I was a freshman in high school and looking for some kind of direction. I came across a copy of "Again, Dangerous Visions" in the school library, not really knowing anything about the editor or many of the writers, but it turned out to be my first introduction to the work of Harlan Ellison, and in the 32 years since then, I've yet to be disappointed by anything the man has produced, said or snarled. He's still one of My Heroes.]

3. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" by J.K. Rowling
[I know it seems odd to have such a recent book on a list of books that mean a lot to me, but the seventh Harry Potter book had a LOT riding on it, and Rowling did not disappoint. I've never hugged a book after I'd finished reading it. It was like finishing a quest , and one of the very, very BEST reading experiences I've ever had. That means a lot.]

4. "Journey to the Center of the Earth" by Jules Verne
[I read this while quite young, well before I read "A Princess of Mars", probably an edition edited for young readers, but it did ensnare me. I remember wishing I could find some runes left by Arne Saknussen while I was out playing in the woods at the edge of town. No such luck. Nonetheless, this book led me to more Verne, to Conan Doyle, to Robert Heinlein, and eventually to Edgar Rice Burroughs.]

5. "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" by Dr. Seuss
[This is the first book I remember reading. It may not actually be the one, but it's the earliest book I remember reading, around the age of 3. Yes, 3. Dr. Seuss--or Saint Ted, as some of us call him--has probably been responsible for starting more kids toward enjoying reading than anyone else in history. So, whether it's actually the first book I read or not, it's the one I credit for gunning my Imagination Engines.]

No comments: